Are you building or renovating?
How do you know who the right Builder/Tradesperson is for your job?
Here are some invaluable tips that will help you make an informed decision.
- Check your Tradesperson / Builder is licensed, and that their licence covers the work to be undertaken. You can find this out by visiting www.fairtrading.nsw.gov.au
- Check your Tradesperson / Builder is correctly insured. Those insurances include
- Construction Works Insurance
- Public Liability Insurance
- Workers Compensation
- Check your Tradesperson / Builder is eligible to undertake works over $20k. Ask your Tradesman / Builder to show you their letter of eligibility to undertake these works.
- Check your quotes carefully.
- Has everything you discussed been included in the quote?
- Are all the quotes covering the same work?
- Check for any exclusions. You may receive a cheaper quote now but that may turn costly if you haven’t adequately accounted for anything not included in the quote.
- Ask for references and to see past works. Speak to owners of other properties to see if they were happy with the builder’s work.